Being in a relationship can be fun and exciting. But, it’s important that you stay true to who YOU are and you are loved for being YOU.
What is a HEALTHY relationship?
- It involves absolutely NO physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
- Sexual activity between you and your partner is ALWAYS consensual.
- Even if you disagree or have a fight, you always treat each other with RESPECT.
- Your partner supports you through tough times no matter what.
- Your partner makes you feel special and appreciated.
- You TRUST each other to do what’s right for the other person.
- You are HONEST with each other.
- Your partner does not pressure you to do anything you don’t want to do.
- You’re both cool with having your own activities and friends separate from each other.
- You can be OPEN and DIRECT without fear of retaliation or manipulation.
What is an UNHEALTHY relationship?
- It involves ANY kind of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
- It includes any kind of forced sexual activity.
- You focus all of your time and energy on your partner and neglect yourself.
- Your partner wants you to change to meet his or her standards or makes you feel like you can’t do anything right.
- You have to justify what you do, where you go, and who you see.
- Your partner checks your cell phone without permission.
- One of you makes all the decisions and controls everything.
- You always make excuses for your partner.
- You have NO personal space.
- You suffer from chronic depression and/or have low self-esteem.
- Your partner texts or calls you all the time, or you have to constantly check in with your partner.
- Your partner acts jealous or possessive.
- Your partner has extreme mood swings or an explosive temper.
If you are in an unhealthy relationship, help is available. Even if you just need to talk. Find your local rape crisis and recovery center here